A few years ago, Apple introduced MOV as the format of choice for videographers or anyone using QuickTime. Today, most people consider MOV files to be an outdated format and it is more convenient to use MP4 files.
And the annoying thing is that you can still have a huge collection of old MOV files taking up space on your Mac. You can convert them to MP4 file format with a little patience by following these step instructions. by step.
How to convert MOV files using iMovie (MacOS)
- Step 1: Launch iMovie, the proprietary video-editing software that came with your Mac (download it for free from the App Store). If the app isn’t already housed in your dock, click the Finder icon, select Applications in the left-hand pane, and select iMovie from the resulting list. Once open, click the File menu in the application toolbar and select New Movie from the drop-down menu.
- Step 2: Click the large Import Media button.
- Step 3 : This will open the media browser. Click on the file you want to import, then click Import Selected in the bottom-right corner.
- Step 4: Now that the file has been imported click on it, and a yellow border will appear around it. Then, click the File menu in the app toolbar and select Share from the resulting drop-down, then click File.
- Step 5 : Adjust the export settings if you want, then click Next.
- Step 6 : Finally, choose a name for the file and where you want to save it, then click Save. You can see the export progress as a small circle in the top-right corner of iMovie. When the export has finished, you’ll see a desktop notification. Your MOV file has now been converted to an MP4 file.
How to convert MOV files using CloudConvert (web-based)
If you are using other OS than Mac such as Windows PC, you can still easily convert MOV files to MP4 using an online application. For example, we’ll be using CloudConvert, a freemium online service designed to handle a wide range of file formats with little to no hassle.
It’s the most used of this lineup for years, but since you have to upload your video files to a remote server, keep in mind that the company that converts your video may have access to it. While we don’t see this as a security threat (and we don’t think it would result in anything), it’s worth mentioning — you might want to consider the type of videos you want to see. go convert here.
- Step 1 : From the CloudConvert homepage, click Select File at the top of the page. Pick the MOV file you’re going to convert, then select Open from the screen’s bottom corner.
- Step 2 : On the next page, scroll until you see MP4 as one conversion option.
- Step 3: After choosing MP4, click the Convert button to the right. The conversion takes time, but the Download button will appear when the process is done. The file will go to your Downloads folder, and from there, you can watch your MP4 video on any compatible device or platform.
Originally published at https://www.globebusinesscenter.com on February 28, 2021.